Monday, August 6, 2007

Network card problems

Well, my first attempt at using the Ethernet card in the Windows 98 Dell has not worked. My dad bought the NIC (Network Interface Card) a couple of years ago for his DSL modem, but neither he, nor the half-interested tech support guys he consulted, could make it work correctly. My dad is very interested in technology, but doesn't know or care much about its inner workings, so he just shrugged and used a USB port instead.

Since I need this card to work for this project to be successful, I have tinkered with the very frustrating Windows 98 utilities, the router's settings, and everything under the sun, and I can't seem to get it to work either. What I've decided, is that I will assume that the problem is the software, and that once I get Linux going, hopefully it will pick up the network and all will be well.

Famous last words, huh?

No comments: